2018’s almost a wrap! Whatever your plans/goals/resolutions were, I hope you were able to crush them in fearless style! This was a big year for me. I started this blog, my family settled into our new home, I saw my twin babies (now four year old boys, ahhh!) reach many milestones, AND I still managed to grow my online accessories shop! Of course, there were challenges; many high highs, and low lows. Wanna know the best part? It’s my personal growth from trusting my gut, taking a leap, and committing to doing the thing I’m passionate about, especially in those moments that didn’t feel quite so ‘sexy’.
I already have big plans for 2019. “Level Up” is the theme I’ve chosen for the year. I’m putting it out in the universe to force myself to be accountable. I think I’ll check this post in six months to gauge my progress!
I’ve been taking a look back at some of the most memorable moments in 2018 (the ones that gave me goosebumps), and I’m sharing my top ten:
1. Boo’d Up by Ella Mai. It’s arguably the official song of 2018, and the one that got the most play in my iTunes library.
2. The Royal Wedding of Meghan and Prince Harry was a fairytale come true! Their union bucked centuries old traditions, and The Duchess became the first woman of color in the British royal family. I wrote all about it here.
3. A Savage runway. Rihanna’s Savage x Fenty runway show celebrated all women like none I have ever seen. Her muse, Slick Woods, literally left the runway to give birth!
4. Speaking of fashion, the industry made strides this year to be more inclusive/diverse (Virgil Abloh at Louis Vuitton, Dapper Dan x Gucci, Edward Enninful/British Vogue) , but there’s still more work to be done.
5. Just Do It! Nike showed us what modern corporate social activism looks like by doing an ad campaign starring Colin Kaepernick. It paid off!
6. The Me Too Movement became a force to be reckoned with. Women started speaking up against sexual assault and harassment, and powerful men are paying for their misconduct.
7. Christine Blasey Ford.
8. We rocked the vote! The 2018 midterm election was a historical one with record voter turnout. 49% of eligible voters (113 million) showed up at the polls to let our voices be heard.
9. The Black Panther was more than just the best selling movie of 2018, it was a movement! And it’s the only film I’ve gone to see twice at the theater!
10. Hollywood creative geniuses like Ava Duvernay, Ryan Coogler, Jordan Peele, and Issa Rae continued to show the world what we already knew…our stories are marketable, and black and brown acting leads can (and do) sell out box offices.
Live FEARLESS, one fashionable moment at a time
Farrah Henry is the Creative Director of lifestyle website Farrah Romaine, and Creator of the Couture Diva.
FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @farrahromaine
LOOK OF THE DAY